Tart with Peppers and Mushroomsfrom Around a Greek Table by Katerina Katsarka Whitley
For the crust:2 cups flour
1 teaspoon yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons warm water
For the filling:6 scallions
4 peppers, yellow, red, green, and orange
8 ounces white mushrooms to cherry tomatoes
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 chicken bouillion cube diluted in 1/2 cup hot water
2 tablespoons snipped flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons snipped dill
Olive oil, for brushing
This and many other wonderful recipes may be found in Around a Greek Table: Recipes & Stories Arranged According to the Liturgical Seasons of the Eastern Church
by Katerina Katsarka Whitley from Lyons Press
This recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law, Soula, and I share it here with minor alterations. It's colorful and aromatic and perfect as a side dish or for vegetarians.
1. Mix the crust ingredients thoroughly and shape into a ball. Cover and let it rest while you prepare filling.
2. Cut the scallions into rounds, the peppers into strips, the mushrooms into thirds, and the tomatoes in halves. Heat the olive oil in a very large frying pan or a heavy, wide casserole or Dutch oven. Saute first the scallions, lightly, then add the peppers and saute. You may need to do this in batches.
3. Add the mushrooms and the tomatoes to the peppers together with the dissolved bouillion. Stir well and cook until the peppers look wilted. Add parsley and dill. Make sure the vegetables are left with no water in the pot, just the sauce. Turn the heat off and allow them to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
5. Grease a round baking pan (I use my trusted 10-inch springform pan) and roll out the dough into a large circle to fit the bottom and come up the sides with an overhang of 1 inch. This is a very easy dough to roll out, especially if you use a slender dowel and turn it round and round. Transfer the dough to the pan and brush thoroughly with olive oil. Fill with the pepper mixture and fold the overhanging dough all around to make a rim. I roll it so that a fine scroll results. Brush all visible dough generously with olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes. Cut in wedges and serve with slices of feta.
Copyright © 2012 Epicurean.com & Lyons Press
All rights reserved